Hazardous Materials Training Frequently Asked Questions
- Does this class meet Federal and State DOT requirements?
- How often does this training need to be done?
Every 3 years.
- I went through this course before, is there just a refresher course I can take?
This course meets the requirements for both initial and refresher training.
- I don’t ship any hazmats, why do I need this training?
If you deliver hazmat parts (see #9) or return items to the manufacturer, yes you do.
- Is this a new regulation?
Actually, the law has been around since 1990.
- Does everyone in our parts or service department need to be certified?
No, only those involved in transport (shipping and delivery.)
- Will this certify me to ship with FedEx and UPS?
- What are some items that are classified as hazmats?
Batteries, Airbags, Seatbelt Pre-Tensioners, Shock Absorbers, Struts, Freon(12 & 134a), Gasoline, Paint and Thinner, Helium, Oxygen, Acetylene, Spray Paint, Brake Cleaner and many more.
- Do our parts delivery drivers need to be certified?
If they deliver the items above, yes.
- How often do you offer these classes?
In most major cities, at least 1 time every 3 years.
- I have had hazmat training through the fire department, is this the same?
No. Fire department training is for emergency response, this focuses on shipping and transportation.